Sunday, February 27, 2011

"What I do, I do for the horse."


Many years ago, I read an article where Ray Hunt was quoted saying, "What I do, I do for the horse".

Those words touched me very deeply. It was such a simple statement, but at the same time so profound. Suddenly, I had a definition for why I did what I did.
Horses are these wonderful, willing creatures who allow us to do amazing things because of (or inspite of) our partnership with them.
Because of this simple quote, I made it my goal to always consider the horse first. How is what I am doing, or what my customer wants me to do going to affect the ability of the horse to do his job.
Someone once asked me if I had ever made the perfect saddle. I said "No. And I hope I never do". My thinking was that if I believe I have attained perfection in my work, there is nothing left to aspire to.
I never met Ray Hunt, but many of his words have had a great influence on my life. Statements like, "It's amazing what you can learn, once you have already learned all there is to learn". Another great quote by Mr. Hunt, "It takes a lifetime to learn how to live a lifetime".

Mr. Hunt, thanks for the wisdom you passed on. You had a great effect on many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment